Is your knee joint troubling you while doing weight-bearing activities?
Knee replacement surgical process was used to rearrange a damaged knee caused by arthritis. In this surgical process, either metal or plastic caps are used to cover the bones of the damaged knee joint. This surgery was done to patients with severe arthritis or with an acute knee injury. Where are the best services for knee replacement surgery might be a big question for you.
Here is the best option for you. Dr Gopal Reddy provides New Implant Technology, A New Twist On Knee Replacement, trauma, hip replacement, etc. While you are deciding regarding knee transplantation, there are certain things to keep in mind before going to an orthopaedic surgeon.
Types of conditions that can damage the knee joints:
- Osteoarthritis: It’s a degenerative disease that is mostly observed in middle-aged adults and older people. It may lead to the disintegration of cartilage and adjacent bone in the knees.
- Rheumatoid: Rheumatoid arthritis people have more pain and stiffness because of irritation caused by synovial fluid, which is generated by the synovial membrane.
- Traumatic: when the cartilage of the knee get damaged by any significant injuries like fall from significant heights and motor vehicle collisions etc.
Knee transplantation surgical option is a final treatment option for all the above-related conditions if nonsurgical or other treatment option fails. Let us read below to know about the procedure.
What is Knee Replacement?
This procedure is also known as knee arthroplasty or Total knee transplantation. It is a surgical process to re-emerge a knee which is damaged by arthritis. In knee transplantation, metals and plastics parts are used to cap the ends to reheal the knee joint along with knee cap.
Reasons for the Knee Replacement:
People with severe degenerative joint disease have greater pain and discomfort in the knee. They may be unable to do normal activities that involve bending of the knee, because of the pain. The excessive knee bending may lead to swelling in the knee area.
Medical treatment for degenerative joint disease may include:
- Anti-inflammatory medicines
- Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate
- Antibiotics for pain
- Reducing painful activities
- Handy devices for walking
- Cortisone injections are given into the knee joint to kill the pain temporarily
- To move of knee joint less painful doctors will inject some lubricants into the surgical area
If these medical treatments are not satisfactory, knee replacement surgery may be an effective procedure.
Prior to Knee Replacement:
- Before undergoing surgery, you will be examined physically along with your complete medical history to check whether you are fit for surgery or not.
- Notify all your medications and any allergies to medicines, sensitivity to injections, bleeding disorders, diabetes, and other conditions which can affect the blood clotting.
- Notify beforehand to the surgeon if your pregnant or suspect that you might be pregnant.
- Your doctor may request other specific information depending on your present medical situation.
- Get your doctor to clarify any doubts before going to surgery.
- Read the consent form carefully and sign a consent form that gives your permission to do the surgery.
- You have to abstain from food eight hours before going in for the surgery.
- Sleep-inducing will be given to patients to make them comfortable and relaxed.
During the Surgery:
This type of surgery is generally performed with general anaesthesia. Patients need to stay in the hospital for further supervision by the doctor.
Usually, Knee Replacement surgery follows the below process:
- On the day of operation, you will wear a hospital gown for the doctor’s convenience to do the procedure.
- The patient will get connected with lubricants such as the saline solution to veins of hands through a drip.
- The surgeon monitors for heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels, and breathing, etc.
- The surgeon will clean the skin over the knee replacement surgery site with an antiseptic.
- The doctor will make a surgical cut on knee skin.
- The doctor will remove the damaged parts of the knee joint and rise with the prosthesis. A prosthesis is forged with metal and plastic. However, cemented prosthesis is most commonly used knee prosthesis. It will be attached to the bone with surgical cement. If they used an uncemented prosthesis to the bone, then the porous surface will be used to regrow it. In some situations, the doctor follows both the procedures.
- The surgeon closes the surgical cut with dissolvable stitches or staples.
- After completing the dressing process, the surgeon applies a sterilized bandage over the incisions.
After the Surgery:
After the Knee replacement surgery patient usually needs several days of hospital stay.
It is essential to start moving the new joint after surgery. While you are in the resting period, a CPM machine will help you to move your new knee joint within the range. The medications can reduce the pain of this process. So you can participate in exercise. Your doctor will guide you to do the activity after the discharge as well as in hospitals also. You will be under the doctor’s supervision until you get rid of muscle pain and attain a good range of motion.
After discharge, keep the surgical area clean and dry. Consult your doctor if you feel any symptoms like fever, swelling, bleeding or unbearable pain, etc. Take proper diet suggested by the doctor to recover soon. Don’t do some activities like weight-bearing, climbing stairs, riding bikes, etc.
Knee Replacement surgery needs proper guidance, experience, and complete care.
Dr.Gopal Reddy and his team will give you the best results with knee replacement and also provides the best physiotherapy services for all aged people. Grab the chance and get rid of all types of orthopaedic problems. To schedule an appointment call at +91-9949255522.
About Dr Gopal Reddy:
Best Hip Replacement Surgeon in Hyderabad Dr Gopal Reddy, a skilled and fellowship, trained hip replacement surgeon in Hyderabad possessing valuable experience and expertise in the field of orthopaedics. With the help of continuous education, he attained the best skills that are a must for an orthopaedic doctor to become the best hip replacement surgeon. He can deliver successful outcomes with zero complications.
With 20 years of experience in the field of orthopaedics, Dr Gopal Reddy always strive to provide the world-class orthopaedic treatment to patients suffering from joint pain. He is a renowned total knee and hip joint replacement surgeon offering excellent and quality orthopaedic care for all the patients whoever approaches him.